Monday, April 8, 2013

15: Stuffed Tomatoes

 I don't really know where I got the idea for this meal.  I think I was watching some commercial (don't even remember which one) and had a thought that I bet Stuffed Tomatoes would be good.  I've made stuffed peppers before, but I have never made Stuffed Tomatoes. I decided that I would just follow a similar approach and a meal was born. 

Ingredients 
5 Large Tomatoes - bigger the better
1 lb lean ground beef
1 cup quinoa (I used half black and half white)
1 can green chilis
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 cup shredded cheese



The How To:

Cook the quinoa as usual (2 cups water, 1 cup quinoa - get to boil, let it simmer for 15 minutes covered) 
Brown ground beef as normal (remember to add water, and drain off the extra fat)
Preheat oven to 400
Cut the stem and tops off of 4 tomatoes and then scoop all the seeds out of the tomatoes
Place the seeds and juice into the ground beef (after it has browned)
Mix the chilis, black beans, quinoa, and other tomato (chopped) into the ground beef 
Grab a deep pot, start to boil water
Once boiling add the tomatoes and let boil for about 5 minutes
Remove tomatoes and fill with stuffing
Top with cheese and let it bake until the cheese melts (about 5-8 minutes)

This was an idea that turned out well for everyone.  It will be making another appearance in this household in the near future.  Needless to say, this dish is Will approved!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...