Sunday, January 27, 2013

6 of 52: Gnocchi with Chicken, Mushrooms, and Gorgonzola Sauce

Tonight I felt like taking a risk, so I did just that by making something super filled with mushrooms (Will is not a huge fan, but I am).  My excuse was that I had some pre-made gnocchi on hand and I thought that Gnocchi with Mushrooms and Gorgonzola Sauce sounded pretty good, so why not give it a try. Of course Martha makes her gnocchi from scratch, but I cheated used some pre-made and also added chicken to mine! 

Ingredients
2 Chicken breasts
1 package gnocchi
1 cup half and half
1 cup vegetable stock
4 oz Gorgonzola cheese (beware, this has a very different taste, swap it out for feta or blue cheese)
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
olive oil
12 oz assorted fresh mushrooms chopped (oyster, cremini, portobello, chanterelle - I bought 1 of the gourmet mushrooms from Publix and 1 of the portobellos) 
Truffle oil (optional, and not pictured)

The How To:
The chicken.. 
Preheat oven to 400.
Tin pan with tin foil (for easy clean up) 
Cook chicken for 45 minutes.

The sauce... 
If you are cheating using pre-made gnocchi - bring water to boil
Add gnocchi
Let it simmer for about 5 minutes
Then turn the heat way down and just keep the gnocchi warm until the chicken/sauce is ready

While the water is heating for the gnocchi.. 
Bring cream and stock to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high.
Reduce heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
Add in cheese (I used Gorgonzola); stir until melted (about 2 minutes)
Stir in nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper.

Heat some olive oil in a skillet and add mushrooms
Let them cook for about 5 minutes
Add the shrooms to the cheese mixture and stir 

Put the gnocchi and chicken in a separate dish (for serving)
Add the cheese/shroom mixture and stir
Serve!



This dish is Will ehpproved.. (he gave it an ehhh..)

Although Will did not give this a full hearted thumbs up, I would like to say that he did eat two plates of it..
This dish definitely does have a very distinctive taste (it's the cheese) but I thought it was delicious (coming from a mushroom lover - I do have evil plans to convert Will.. its just a matter of time.. <insert evil laughter>).


PS
How cute does Will look in these pics?!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...